Cromartie Law Your Local Rome Attorneys. Serious Personal Injury? We Can Help. Free Consultation.

Where can Georgia residents go to report elder abuse?

On Behalf of | Feb 12, 2015 | Nursing Home Neglect

As America’s population ages more people than ever are in need of long-term care due to health issues. For millions of Americans, including many Georgia residents, this means a move to an assisted living facility, otherwise known as a nursing home. Staying in this type of facility can make day-to-day life easier for elderly people, as they receive assistance with many daily tasks that most of us take for granted.

However, with an increase in the nursing home population there has also seemingly been an increase in the number of instances of nursing home neglect and elder abuse. Either that or nursing home residents and their relatives are becoming more aware on this issue – and more vigilant.

But where can Georgia residents turn to if they suspect that one of their relatives who is living in a nursing home is being abused or neglected? Well, it turns out that the Georgia Department of Human Services has a Division of Aging Services. Within that division is a unit known as Adult Protective Services. This is the place to report nursing home abuse.

A Georgia resident has a number of options when attempting to contact Adult Protective Services. Calls can be made during normal business hours Monday through Friday. A report can even be faxed in. And, of course, there is an option to submit a report via the Internet. No matter which form of communication is best, Georgia residents should be sure to report a facility if they suspect elder abuse or neglect is taking place.

When loved ones have been injured due to mistreatment or neglect at a nursing home or other facility, family members may be able to hold the facility accountable through a lawsuit. Attorneys with experience in these sensitive cases can help Georgia families to understand how the law may apply to their particular circumstances.

Source:, “Adult Protective Services,” Accessed Feb. 7, 2015

How Can We Help?