Cromartie Law Your Local Rome Attorneys. Serious Personal Injury? We Can Help. Free Consultation.

3 mistakes to avoid during any personal injury claim

On Behalf of | Aug 2, 2019 | Firm News

Even single-vehicle collisions can result in serious injuries. One Georgia resident had to go to the hospital after losing control of the car and driving over the median. Two other people were in the vehicle, but they did not sustain injuries. 

Crashes involving two or more vehicles are more likely to result in serious injury. In these cases, you do not want to delay filing a personal injury claim. However, there are certain actions you can do in the immediate aftermath that drastically impact your claim. A single mistake could affect how much compensation you receive, and it could mean you receive nothing at all. 

1. Failing to see a doctor

After a car crash of any severity, you should see a physician. You may feel fine, but that could simply be a result of the adrenaline masking the pain. A doctor will perform a variety of tests to check to see if there is any damage to your muscles or tissue. You should ideally see a doctor within 24 hours of the collision, so you can directly correlate the collision with your injuries.

2. Failing to disclose your full medical history

When you see the doctor, disclose any other injuries or medical conditions you had in the past or currently have even before the collision took place. Some people will fail to disclose this information because they do not want their insurance company to think a different problem could cause these new injuries. However, it ultimately makes it look like you have something to hide. Be honest and upfront. Your doctor will know what the crash caused. 

3. Filing after the statute of limitations

In the state of Georgia, you have two years from the date you sustained injuries to file a personal injury claim. You should make sure to file before that time if you think you will need additional compensation. You do not necessarily need to complete the court proceedings within two years, but you should at least file the initial paperwork. 

How Can We Help?